Skin pigmentation is a common problem and can be challenging.
What are the causes of pigmentation on skin?
There are many causes of pigmentation on skin. Some of these include conditions like
- Sun damage
- Certain medications
- Infections and inflammatory skin conditions
- Hormonal causes
Skin pigmentation problems can be very difficult to treat. Like in all conditions making a correct diagnosis is very important. Obviously, an incorrect diagnosis can be detrimental and missing a skin cancer can be fatal.
Once we are convinced that the pigmentation is benign:
- Sun avoidance and sun block use should be the starting point
- Certain pigment lightening creams can be very effective in the treatment of superficial skin pigmentation
- Chemical peels can be tried to improve the superficial pigmentation
- Certain deep pigmentation problems such as Naevus of Ota, can be improved with lasers